Sunday, September 3, 2017

Contentment

As I've been in this "me,me,me. What I want" mode lately, I got a reality check on Friday. As my oldest son was having a tough day and called to talk. I let him talk as I listened. It was much about dealing with life as an adult. But he said something that turned my heart around. He said, "I just needed to talk to my mom. I just needed mom."  Oh my heart! Here I am so consumed by disappointment that I'm not getting my way and God says "Hello you have people who need and want you in their lives. Don't worry over the ones that don't". In my response to my son I realized I was giving him the very advice I needed to take. I told him to stop trying to look at what others have or what you don't but be content in where you are and appreciate what is in front of you. Learn as you go and you will grow.
Hmmm easier to tell someone right? But as I got off the phone I realized wow I need to do the same.  I watch and envy people all the time that are happy in their singleness and marriage. I want that joy preferably in marriage but I was once very content in singleness too. So I just want the joy and peace to wait on God and absorb the here and now He has for me.
So where does one begin to do that? Prayer? In God's word? .. well I believe those things must be the beginning but also serving, listening to others, listing all the things in my life to appreciate, and being still. Truly listening to discern the voice of God.
So on to a journey of living contently. It will be a battle I'm sure. But I want the fullness of His joy!

No comments: