Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Young loss

I was unsure how to title today. My oldest son told me about a young girl at his school that died this week. She took her own life. It saddened my heart beyond belief today. I just could not imagine this young life finding nothing to live for.
I think it bothered Vincent a bit. I could just see the sadness on his face today as he wore that yellow ribbon and remembered her. She was not anyone he knew personally or was friends with, but still....I just think it really makes him sad to think about.
My prayers go out to that young girl's family and friends. How they will miss her and seek answers for "why". In death I think there are always going to be questions we never get answers to, no matter how it occurred.
I sat and wondered today though... I wondered what hurt this child to feel there was nothing worth living for? Did she have friends that are followers of Christ that know hope? Did she know Jesus herself?
Often times I think we may not understand the power of doubt, hopelessness, hurt, anger, fear or sadness. How it can render us helpless, or at least we feel that way. I know I have friends and family and myself that have dealt with those powers.
But there is another power. A power that can overcome those things. That is the power of Jesus. He is the only thing that can overcome ANYTHING in this life, even death. Because He has already overcome it.
The Christian youth today have such a great responsibility on them to be Christ-like examples in a hardening world. I know I do not pray often enough for them. I do pray for both my children as they leave for school each day, but what about those others... I should spend time praying for them too. Being a teenager has it's own stresses but it seems like we are having our kids grow faster and faster these days and they are missing out on being kids. So many are in broken homes because of divorce and don't even know what it is to sit down and have a family dinner.

Well, I am just going off on a soap box. I do not know this young girl's life at all and have no idea what happened or why. I am just pondering out loud about the circumstance and that we lost a young child this week.
Death has a new closeness to me and my children since last year. We had two major deaths in our family and it is a challenge that unless you have been there, it is hard to understand. We know the pain that people will feel when someone they love dies and the questions they will ask others, themselves, and God. The boys and I talk often and one of the things I seem to say a lot is "it's a club that you don't want to be a part of, but when you are, you are glad there are others that understand".

Prayers to the young girl's family.

No comments: