Friday, March 16, 2012

Learning to be The Light

That is the song I heard as I drove through the rain on my way home from a dinner with a dear friend, a sister in Christ. I thought as I drove, how appropriate it was for the time that was spent today with just wanting to be in the company of my dear friends that I do not spend enough time with. I think back to the many things that God has been trying to say to me about serving others and focusing on others instead of the circumstances that bring me down. I can't help but reflect on Peter stepping out of the boat on to the water as Jesus walked to meet him. When Peter focused on his circumstance, he started to sink, but when he looked up and met Jesus, he was safe and blessed.
Much is the same when we take our eyes (focus) OFF our circumstance and ON Jesus and what He wants from us.
I have believed God has purposed me to share His story through my life. I have allowed fear and the darkness of the circumstances of my life to stop me from following through. I have not written as I once did. I allow excuses to add up until I talk myself out of doing what God commands. It is still a struggle to sit here and type, but I know it is what I am called to do.
I will not go over all the details of the last two years because I do not want the focus to become lost. I want to focus on what God has done and what He will do through the events of our lives. I have watched how He has formed beauty from ashes and peace from despair.
I will not fear because I follow The Truth. I will not allow lies to keep me from the work God wants me to do.
I am an ordinary woman, there is absolutely nothing special about me. I have no extraordinary talents or anything. I am simply a woman that loves The Lord with all her heart. I have watched Him cover me with the blood of His Son to wash my sins and make me completely white and change my life to become something that is more than I could ever do myself. I struggle with speaking to strangers and in intimate settings, but I push that fear down so you would not know it. I do this because I have been called to encourage. Encouraging means bringing light to the dark places that sometimes overwhelm us. This light is God's and not mine. It is a gift He has given and I am still not all together sure why He chose me, but He did.
He uses this gift through my work as well as personal relationships. But there is a secret about this... when I am given the words, or action to encourage someone, it actually gives me encouragement. Isn't that amazing how that works?! Only God works that way.
I have allowed the word "busy" to consume me and keep me from a lot of things...it needs to change.
Yes, I have a lot of responsibilities, but life is too short to allow "busy" to take over.
Doing God's will should always be the most important responsibility I have. That includes loving my family and serving them. That is my family members but also my the church. I don't mean some building either. I mean THE CHURCH, the body of Christ, all His believers. We are broken pieces allowing satan to trick us that we need to care for our own "issues" first before we care for other parts of the body. He is a LIAR! He is sneaky about it too. He likes for us to think we are too messed up to help another member of the body. IT IS a LIE! God instructs us to love one another, care for one another, SERVE one another! In other words....Learn to be The Light.

Father,
You are truly an Amazing God. I do not deserve anything you have given me. I am not sure how I am going to be obedient, but it is my desire to be. Help me to hear you, trust you, and obey. Thank you for the gifts you have given me. Thank you for using my weaknesses to be your perfect strength. Allow me to serve all those you put in my path with a humble and loving heart and continue to mold me to your likeness.
In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: